Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Cooking at Home - Chicken Afritada (Another Filipino Dish)





Here I am at the kitchen again last night... lol. I guess it shows that I love to cook... actually, it's more like, I love to eat! ... and of course, prepare for my hubby too. ;D

Last night’s dish was Chicken Afritada.

Here’s how it’s done:

Ingredients:

  • 1 kilo chicken, cut into pieces
  • 5 pieces potatoes, peeled and halved
  • 2-3 pieces carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • 1 head garlic, minced
  • 1 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
  • 2 chicken stock (broth)
  • 1 cup tomato sauce
  • 2 tablespoons of patis (fish sauce)
  • 3 tablespoons of cooking oil

Direction:

  • In a cooking pot or wok, heat oil.

  • Sauté garlic and onions.

  • Add chicken and slightly brown.

  • Pour the tomato sauce and stock. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken is almost cooked.

  • Add potatoes and carrots and continue to cook for 10 minutes or until the potatoes and carrots are cooked.

  • Add the green, simmer for an additional minute or two.

  • Salt and pepper to taste

  • Serve this chicken recipe hot with steamed rice.


This was actually a quick dish that you could also prepare when you don't have much time.

After work, which was pretty late, we made a quick stop at the grocery store, bought the ingredients and peeled and cut the veggies. We made sure that the chicken we bought was already cut into stew portions.

Cooking these dishes every night, makes us feel like we're back in the Philippines. :D

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I love this dish! This is one of my favorites!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy I am now hungry thanks:) kiss kiss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy!!! I might just invite myself over when I have an urge for Filipino food. Say, can you rock a chocolate moist cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. im a foodaholic too and i absolutely love to cook for my BF too :D

    looking yummy! will try it out when im back in melb. back home here in singapore we dont do any cooking @ home, its always eat-out every day.

    umm not sure if they have an online shop, but u can check out their website for store locations! they might have a store in m'sia. it newly opened in singapore too...

    http://www3.pandora-jewelry.com/au

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Inspiration in Italy: Thanks! :)

    @Alicia: Thanks. You know, my friend actually told me to add Liver spread to make it tastier. Have you tried that? I haven't tried it though.

    @The Pocket Stylist: Thanks... and thanks for viewing my blog too. :D

    @Veronica Lee: Yeah, sure, you're most welcome. I'd like to ask though, If you know how to make a nice Curry Mee or Prawn Mee... I'd really like to learn Malaysian Food. Oh! and Petai Sambal. :D Thanks.

    @mica: Thanks for the website dear, I hope they've opened one here too, that would be great. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want some! It looks soooooooo yum!

    ReplyDelete